UMW Men's Basketball Falls in OT at St. Mary's on Wednesday Night

UMW Men's Basketball Falls in OT at St. Mary's on Wednesday Night

The University of Mary Washington men's basketball team dropped an 83-74 decision at St. Mary's on Wednesday evening to fall to 4-3 on the season, and 1-2 in CAC play. The Eagles were led by senior forward John Lutkenhaus' 25 points. 

Mary Washington jumped to a quick five point lead in the first four minutes of action, leading 7-2. St. Mary's responded with seven straight points to grab the lead at 9-7 with 13:52 remaining in the first. 

The two rivals exchanged buckets and leads for much of the half, until the score was deadlocked at 20-20 with 8:15 left. The Eagles would use a 17-7 run to enter the break with a 10 point advantage at 37-27. In the run, Lutkenhaus scored seven, Johnny Cronin had four, and Emerson Burk, Jacob Williams, and Jamal Newton each added two.

In the second, the Eagles quickly pushed their lead to 41-27 off baskets from Austin Hall and Eric Shaw. St. Mary's answered and went on a 14-3 run to cut the deficit to 44-41 with 12:11 remaining. With the Eagles up 51-43 with 9:46 left, St. Mary's hit back-to-back three pointers in a matter of 18 seconds to cut the lead to two. Hall responded with a layup to put the Eagles back up 53-49, but St. Mary's hit two layups to even the score at 53-53 with 7:12 left. 

With the two teams tied at 57-57 with 3:09 left, St. Mary's hit a layup to take the lead, but Lutkenhaus responded on the next possession with a three pointer to take the lead back at 60-59. Newton came up with a big steal just 15 seconds later and found Lutkenhaus for another three to extend the lead to four with just over two minutes left. 

St. Mary's hit a layup on the next possession to cut the Eagles' lead to two, but then fouled Lutkenhaus on a three pointer. Lutkenhaus calmly knocked down all three free throws to put the Eagles up 66-61. The Eagles went 3-4 from the line in the final 26 seconds, but St. Mary's hit a layup, and two three pointers, the last one tying the game at 69-69 with one second remaining to send the game to overtime.

St. Mary's scored the first seven points of overtime in 2:29, a difficult hole for the Eagles to climb out of in the waning minutes. The Seahawks hit their free throws down the stretch to end the game with an 83-74 advantage.

Lutkenhaus went 7-13 from the field, making 5-8 three pointers and 6-9 free throws. Hall added 19 points and Brent Mahoney hauled in 13 boards.

Mary Washington shot 35.4% from the field (23-65), making 8-26 three pointers and 20-33 free throws. St. Mary's shot 47.7% from the field (31-65), making 8-24 three pointers and 13-22 free throws. 

The Eagles are back in action at 1:00 pm on Saturday afternoon in the Ron Rosner Arena when they host Marymount University.