UMW Men's Lax Falls to Catholic in Final Minute, 11-10, on Saturday Afternoon

UMW Men's Lax Falls to Catholic in Final Minute, 11-10, on Saturday Afternoon

The University of Mary Washington men's lacrosse team dropped an 11-10 decision to visiting Catholic University on Saturday afternoon at the Battleground. The Eagles slip to 3-4 on the season.

Catholic jumped on top first in the back and forth affair, as Tim Keith scored on a Victor Licata assist with 8:17 left in the first. Drew Carlson answered with a goal for the Eagles with 7:28 left. Licata ended the first quarter scoring with 25 seconds left to give the Cards a 2-1 advantage.

In the second, Owen Dingman scored a man up tally on a Mike Marson assist with 12:35 remaining before halftime, but the Cardinals answered with a Jack Murphy score with 10:41 left. The Eagles then seized momentum with four straight scores.

Miles Davis scored on a Robert Tata assist with 8:57 left, and Jack Carver followed 2:31 later on a Davis pass. Davis scored two minutes after that, and Chris White scored on a Marson feed with 2:18 remaining. Catholic finished the second with a score in the final minute, giving the Eagles a 6-4 halftime edge.

UMW added to its lead with a Chase Kapuscienski score with 12:43 remaining, on a pass from Shane McKenzie. The Cardinals then took over in the third, scoring four straight, and six of the next seven, to command a 10-8 lead after three periods.

The Eagles cut the deficit to 10-9 on a McKenzie goal, assisted by Dingman, and then tied the score with 8:24 left as Davis scored on a pass from Carver. The Cardinals scored the game winner in the final minute after an Eagle failed clear with 31 seconds left in the contest.

The Eagles held a 41-29 lead in shots, and CUA won 13 of 25 faceoffs. Each team was successful on two extra man opportunities. Billy Senicola had nine saves in goal for the Eagles, while Jack Schmidt has 12 for CUA.

Mary Washington will be back in action on March 18 when they visit Salisbury University at 1:00 p.m.