#15 Men's Tennis Advances to NCAA Tournament Third Round, With 5-0 Victory Against Wilkes
Fredericksburg, Va.— The #15 Mary Washington men's tennis team knocked off Wilkes, 5-0, on Saturday. The Eagles swept doubles, and cruised in singles to earn the victory. UMW will face Johns Hopkins on Sunday in the NCAA Tournament Third Round.
UMW swept doubles, gaining a 3-0 lead early. Tyler Carey and Evan Charles defeated J. and P. Parfianowicz, 8-5 at one doubles. Stratton Gilmore teamed up with Brandon Griffin to displace Steven Wilson and Alex Makos 8-4 at number two. David Lunding-Johansson and Andrew Curtis also earned an 8-4 victory at three. The tandem knocked off Michael Kranz and Brendon Blachowski.
Tyler Carey and Evan Charles clinched the victory for the Eagles at one and four singles. Carey was a 6-1, 6-0 winner against Wilson at one singles. Charles finished his match just seconds later, with a 6-0, 6-2 win at four. Alex Blakhin, Stratton Gilmore, David Lunding-Johansson, and Brandon Griffin were all up a set when play ended.
The Eagles will face Johns Hopkins at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday in the regional final. The winner will earn a trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals in Claremont, Ca.
Wilkes University vs University of Mary Washington
May 10, 2014 at Fredericksburg, Va.
University of Mary Washington 5, Wilkes University 0
1. CAREY, Tyler (UMWMT) def. Steven Wilson (WUMT) 6-1, 6-0
2. BLAKHIN, Alexander (UMWMT) vs. Max Appello (WUMT) 6-0, 5-3, unfinished
3. GILMORE, Stratton (UMWMT) vs. Michael Kranz (WUMT) 6-0, 3-2, unfinished
4. CHARLES, Evan (UMWMT) def. Dominic Parfianowicz (WUMT) 6-0, 6-2
5. LUNDIG-JOHANSSON, Da (UMWMT) vs. Adam Lefkandinos (WUMT) 6-2, 5-0, unfinished
6. GRIFFIN, Brandon (UMWMT) vs. Brendon Blachowski (WUMT) 6-1, 1-3, unfinished
1. CHARLES, Evan/CAREY, Tyler (UMWMT) def. Jacob Parfianowicz/Dominic Parfianowicz (WUMT) 8-5
2. GRIFFIN, Brandon/GILMORE, Stratton (UMWMT) def. Steven Wilson/Alex Makos (WUMT) 8-4
3. LUNDIG-JOHANSSON, Da/CURTIS, Andrew (UMWMT) def. Michael Kranz/Brendon Blachowski (WUMT) 8-4
2014 NCAA Tournament Second Round