The 27th ranked University of Mary Washington women's tennis team raced out to a 3-0 lead after doubles en route to winning the 2013 Capital Athletic Conference Championship on Saturday over Salisbury University, 8-1.
The Eagles won in doubles at one, with Lindsay Raulston and Shelby Harris winning, 8-3, and at three, 8-3, as Cassie Bowman and Chrissy Gaul won. UMW completed the sweep in doubles as freshmen Alina Suyama and MacKenzie Smith won, 8-4.
In singles, UMW's Paige Weinberg was leading, 3-2, in the first but was injured and forced to retire due to injury. From there, the Eagles won all five remaining matches in straight sets.
The win is the Eagles' 21st CAC title in the 23 years of the league, including their 10th straight.
Tennis Match Results
Salisbury vs Mary Washington
Apr 27, 2013 at Fredericksburg, Va.
#25 Mary Washington 8, Salisbury 1
1. Lindsay Raulston (UMW) def. Natalie Savage (SAL) 6-0, 6-1
2. Shelby Harris (UMW) def. Elaina Iosue (SAL) 6-2, 6-2
3. Cassie Bowman (UMW) def. Roxanne Alban (SAL) 6-0, 6-3
4. Alex Ritter (UMW) def. Katie Youlios (SAL) 6-2, 6-1
5. Chrissy Gaul (UMW) def. Victoria Handlin (SAL) 6-0, 6-4
6. Jessica Babyak (SAL) def. Paige Weinberg (UMW) 2-3, retired
1. Lindsay Raulston/Shelby Harris (UMW) def. Natalie Savage/Roxanne Alban (SAL) 8-3
2. Alina Suyama/Mackenzie Smith (UMW) def. Elaina Iosue/Katie Youlios (SAL) 8-4
3. Cassie Bowman/Chrissy Gaul (UMW) def. Jessica Babyak/Victoria Handlin (SAL) 8-3
Mary Washington 18-4; National ranking #25; Regional ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,2,1,3,5)
2013 Capital Athletic Conference Championship