Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Big First Half Leads UMW Men’s Lacrosse Past Wesley, 18-4, on Saturday

Big First Half Leads UMW Men’s Lacrosse Past Wesley, 18-4, on Saturday

The University of Mary Washington men's lacrosse team scored 11 goals in the first half to help defeat Wesley College, 18-4, on Saturday afternoon in Fredericksburg, Va. UMW improves to 7-4 overall, and 3-0 in the CAC.

Junior Kieran Burns got the scoring started for the Eagles 3:34 into the game. The Wolverines tied the game up with 5:53 to play in the first half. From there, UMW scored nine straight goals to grab control of the game.

Chris White scored his first goal of the day on with 5:39 to play, and then Alec Turner scored on an assist from Shane McKenzie just 1:06 later. Burns added his second of the day with 1:24 left in the first quarter and the Eagles took a 4-1 lead into the second quarter.

UMW capitalized on a man up opportunity just 18 seconds into the second quarter as White scored on an assist from McKenzie. Cole Hogan scored his lone goal of the day with 13:59 to play, and Bryant Baus scored his second goal of the season with 9:49 left.

White scored his third goal of the day on an assist from Conor Healy, and then Ben Byrne scored on a McKenzie assist with 6:52 left in the half. Will Mortimer added a goal on a McKenzie assist just 17 seconds later. After Wesley scored on a man-up opportunity, Sean Tuite tallied a goal with 56 seconds remaining in the half that put the Eagles up 11-2.

UMW scored all the goals in the third quarter to extend their lead to 12, 14-2. Owen Dingman scored on a Robert Tata assist, and then McKenzie added a goal with 11:27 left. Vinny Smiroldo scored the last goal of the quarter with 3:02 left. 

In the fourth quarter, Baus added his second goal of the game with 13:44 to play in the game. The Wolverines scored two goals to cut the lead to 11, 15-4, with 3:45 left. In the last 3:45, Brandon Williams, Alex Olson, and Baus all scored to help the Eagles win 18-4. 

Eli Ayer led the way with nine ground balls, while Quintin Ricci picked up seven. Robert Tata recorded three ground balls and caused four turnovers. Lucas Whittie picked up the win in goal as he made two saves. Sam Wasson recorded three saves and Nathaniel Holic made four saves. 

UMW will be back in action on Saturday as they travel to York at 7 p.m.